Focusing My Focus
Right now, in this moment, I could choose to focus on:
• The fact that my second born will move out of our house in 86 days.
• The truck that’s in the shop and the sinking feeling that it might be the transmission.
• The teenage boy’s room that looks like a bomb went off in it.
• The list of weird things my body has done recently that makes me feel like the invitation in my mailbox to join the AARP wasn’t a mistake after all.
• The relationship that’s not what I wish it was.
• The college tuition bills. All of them.
• The anxious thought I’ve been giving to the Lord and then taking back again.
• The exhaustion of wrangling the chaos of May with the end of school and a Senior on top of it all.
Or, I could choose, right now in this moment, to focus on:
• The joy of my son, who will wake up in our house for 85 more mornings.
• The working vehicles that are taking my people everywhere, all day long.
• The teenage boy street football game that’s going on outside my front door.
• The ways I’ve learned to love my body, with all its mom faults and freckles.
• All the friends the Lord has brought into my life this year.
• The college scholarships. And the memory of the tacos we ate last month in celebration of paying off the last child’s orthodontic bill.
• Giving that anxious that back to the Lord again.
• The delight in this moment, right here, right now, with these people.