First Day of School Blessings (Re-Post)
Author's Note: Of all the blog posts on Treasure the Ordinary, this one post has had more continuous visits than any other, a testament to the desire of parents to partner with what the Lord is doing to bless their children. As a new school year begins, may you find joy in sending out the birds from your nests, sheltered by the God who loves them even more than you do.
All the backpacks are lined up by the front door. The first day of school clothes are waiting on their hangers. The crayons are pointed and unbroken.
My birds are asleep in the nest, ready to fly away tomorrow. And it's this hour that a Mama kneels and prays. She prays that the small wings will be strong as they carry her precious ones into a world not always hospitable to young things. She prays that His breath will blow, lifting them higher, above the reach of that which would entangle. And she prays that they will fly safely home again.
Mama bird blessings:
- I Bless You with courage. (Joshua 1:3-9)
- I Bless You with the Father's protection. (Ps. 91)
- I Bless You with a Godly child’s heart that respects and honors his parents and authority.
- I Bless You with the Holy Spirit’s marking your life so that you stand out in a crowd.
- I Bless You with the favor of God on your life so that others want to go out of their way to do you good.
- I Bless You that people speak to you with kindness and honor.
- I Bless You with confidence in your looks and abilities: you will like who God made you to be.
- I Bless You with strategies of the Lord for your future.
- I Bless You with purity in thought, speech, and action.
- I Bless You with confidence and a complete lack of fear of man.
- I Bless You with the ability to be a good friend.
- I Bless You with the ability to be grieved by sin and the desire to make all things right with the Father.
- I Bless You with truthful lips.
- I Bless You with the ability to honor those around you, even when it costs you.
- I Bless You with the knowledge that you are a joy to your parents and that they are proud of you.
- I Bless You with the knowledge of the Father’s unconditional love for you and your parents’ unconditional love for you.
- I Bless You with the desire to pray at all times, with all kinds of prayers.
- I Bless You with the spirit of a warrior, a Godly warrior.
- I Bless You to be a blessing to everyone you meet.
Many thanks to Melba Burk, who taught me the power of blessing.